St Francis of Assisi Church is located on Fencepiece road, Hainault, a suburban area in the London Borough of Redbridge. It is a liberal Anglo-Catholic Church in both its faith expressions and Liturgy and welcoming of the Ministry of visiting clergy.
We continue to share in the Bishop of Chelmsford's ministry - "to be a transforming presence in the communities where we live and where we must serve."
WHAT WE DO
We believe that the door to salvation is always open and so are the doors to our church. Through works of charity and opening our doors to listen and love, we feel that we are walking in the footsteps of Jesus Christ.
At St Francis, we take our duty of service to our community seriously. We show God’s love and concern for our fellow man at every opportunity.
Pre 1956 Church Building
A LITTLE HISTORY OF
ST FRANCIS OF ASSISI CHURCH
Services have been held in the Parish since February 1934 when the first service was held in the waiting room of what is now Hainault Underground Station.
In 1938, two halls were built on the existing church site at Fencepiece road with one acting as the temporary church until 1956, when a brick building designed in a traditional style by J. J. Crowe, was built and consecrated.
In January 2001, the Church was severely damaged by a fire and remained closed until May 2002 when it was re-consecrated.
The present church building is accessible through a West door where you will find yourself standing in the foyer which is located under the tower housing the church bell. A set of double of double doors leads into an aisled nave, baptistery, chancel, Lady chapel, and vestries.